Saturday 19 October 2013

The seamless coat! Ta da!!






Knitted coat in Cygnet chunky
In my continuing quest for unusual patterns, this one has crossed my path. It is a virtually seamless knitted coat designed by Lisa Chemery, worked in chunky yarn. I chose Cygnet Chunky in shade 365 turquoise. The pattern starts at the top of the hood and works downwards. OK. I’ve done that before. Then you increase to create two sleeves, two fronts and a back. The sleeves are then worked on double pointed needles, something which I learnt to do on a workshop. Marvellous!! Once the body and sleeves are complete, you then pick up and create a woven basket collar and front band. I am really pleased with the final result which I have finished with 4 wooden tree buttons.

Seamless increasing

All the increasing from the hood down creates the seamless coat. Brilliant! Have I told you how much I hate sewing these things together. As long as you are consistent with the increasing, you are assured a perfect seam. I am already feeling the urge to make another one.



Front band
The real challenge turned out to be the front band which is a main feature of this coat. Knitted in woven basket stitch, something I thought I knew how to do, I did find myself having to undo 4 rows after watching an instructional video on youtube on how to do this properly. Finished with 4 wooden tree buttons, I think the final result is well worth the challenge.



Its funny how when you knit something for the second time, it goes even better than the first time.
And then following showing this on facebook, I have received a commission to create another coat in red in size 3-4 years. It took a week to make and was well received by the customer this morning.
Back to knitting layette sizes though.

To view more items available through my ebay shop, follow this link: www.stores.ebay.co.uk/layetteknitting


No comments:

Post a Comment