Sunday 20 October 2013

From small beginnings ...

Logo designed by kuching-sama.com
For this to truly be the Story of Layette Knitting, it has to start two years ago. I found myself without a permanent job, working as a supply teacher. By October 2011, the work was not exactly pouring in so I decided to have a go at making a business out of something had been a life long hobby - knitting

Each year in the village there is a flower show which has a horticultural section and a handicraft section, the latter of these is judged by ladies from the Women's Institute and they expect a very high standard. This was my training ground to achieve a standard of knitting and finishing that I felt would be acceptable by others.  I first entered the competition in 1999 and won the handicraft trophy. Flushed with success, I continued to enter for many years afterwards and won the trophy again several times during that period.



Marble wrap neck jumper

Knitting had been a passion for me for many years, especially while my children were small as I was able to make them unique items of clothing for a fraction of the store price. I enjoy knitting small items of clothing because they can be completed within a few days or a week at most. Obviously this is very much time dependent, something I had plenty of in October 2011. The business plan was starting to take form with the idea of clothes for babies and so Layette Knitting seemed to be the most appropriate name. Starting with just a few items to sell, eBay was definitely the right place to open my online shop. It gave the opportunity to sell all over the world and with Paypal accept payments in other currencies. Fantastic!! 


It wasn't long before the idea of designing and producing patterns popped into my head. I needed easy to follow patterns which I could knit up whilst watching the tv of an evening and my Easy to Knit blanket patterns were born. These have enjoyed greater success than my knitted items with buyers coming back for more. The secret to these success has been the simplicity of the pattern, usually containing only four rows of pattern repeated for as long as required. Brilliant!! 



Whilst my shop hasn't made me into a millionaire yet, it has given me a sense of self worth which was rapidly diminishing during that time in 2011. Two years on and still going strong. I have sold items all over the world.  I have ventured out into spinning and dyeing my own yarn. Whilst these two ideas are very creative and exciting, they are still a long way off being good enough to be included in my shop. 


For anyone thinking about going into business for yourself and sharing your passion for a hobby, if you can do it online, go for it! The world is waiting for you!!


To view my ebay shop you can use the following link: www.stores.ebay.co.uk/layetteknitting

No comments:

Post a Comment